The Wailers to perform in aid of RhinoProtect
Reggae legends The Wailers will take a special detour from their world tour to play the Stand Up! concert on Friday April 27 at Trinity nightclub in Cape Town. The Wailers will share the stage with local ska and reggae favourites The Rudimentals, funk-rock newcomers Fox Comet and the crowd-drawing, dub step collaborative Mix n Blend. Electro heavyweight Dino Psaras is the final addition to this stellar line-up and is set to take the crowd in to the early hours.
The concert is the brainchild of Damien Vergnaud, owner of Inverdoorn Game Reserve and Iziba Safari Lodge and founder of RhinoProtect – the organization that Stand Up! will support. RhinoProtect was born out of desperation when it became clear to Vergnaud that the three rhinos at Inverdoorn were under imminent threat of poaching.
The supporting acts were all eager, not only to share a stage with The Wailers, but also to take a stance against rhino poaching. “The poaching and killing of rhinos solely for their horn, is the cruellest form of animal abuse I can think of. Such a majestic animal condemned to death for the sake of someone else’s perception of pleasure is sad,” adds The Rudimentals lead bassist Bong. “So when we heard that The Wailers were headlining and throwing their weight behind this movement, we knew we couldn’t miss out.”
* Tickets are priced at R235 for standard tickets and R420 for VIP tickets. Doors open at 8pm till early hours. VIP Tickets are available at www.webtickets.co.za only.
Standard tickets available at:
- Long Street, Claremont: 021 671 9846
- Long Street, Tygervalley: 021 914 3136
- Skint, Long Street: 021 801 3536
- Skint, Noordhoek: 021 785 7777
- Gypsy, Durbanville: 021 976 2604
- Gypsy, Stellenbosch: 021 886 7157
- Gypsy, Kalk Bay: 021 788 6802
- Hoodoo Tattoo, Big Bay: 021 554 4086
- The Surf Centre, Canal Walk: 021 555 4970
- Pakololo, Hout Bay: 021 790 0700
- Ska, Observatory: 021 447 6014