As summer settles in, and Cape Town gears up for an influx of local and international tourists,the Table Mountain Cableway has put together a list of tips and tricks for anyone planning on visiting the mountain during “silly” season.
- Purchase a ticket online. A newly structured queue system means that online ticket holders will join the queue to board the cable cars immediately upon arrival. Non-ticket holders will need to buy their tickets at the Lower Station Ticket Office before joining the online ticket holders’ queue.
- Check tablemountain.net or @TableMountainCa on Twitter and Facebook. There, you will be able to find out if the Cableway is open, what queuing times are and the weather conditions at the top.
- Park and ride. Uber in or park your car at the Lower Tafelberg Road parking lot and catch the FREE MyCiti shuttle up to the Lower Cableway Station. Shuttles depart every 20 minutes and operate from 7am until 7pm.
- Save with the Cableway’s specials. From 6pm daily, locals with a valid South African ID can take advantage of the ½ price Sunset Special promotion. This special runs until 18 December 2017 and again from 4 January 2018. During peak season, locals can also look forward to receiving a free ticket on their birthday, and SA senior citizens and students will pay less on Fridays. Visit tablemountain.net for more information.
Some things to take note of:
- Don’t be scared to come hungry (and thirsty). The Cableway has various food and beverage options available to their visitors. From on-the-go items at the Wi-Fi Lounge, to ice-cold on-tap beer at the Terrace Bar, or delicious South African cuisine on offer at the Table Mountain Café – the difficult choice is all yours.
- You can self-guide your way around the mountain. There is FREE WiFi at the Lower Cableway Station. Use of this allows visitors to download the free Table Mountain Cableway audio tours via the Voicemap app (available from the Apple or Google Play stores). Once downloaded, these tours run offline. They’ll provide you with in-queue entertainment at the bottom and enable you to explore the top of the mountain at your leisure.
- Let the Cableway guide you. Free 30-minute guided tours depart from the Twelve Apostles Terrace, situated below the Shop at the Top and Table Mountain Café, on the hour from 9am to 3pm daily.
- The Cableway’s busiest days are between 19 December and 4 January. If you are local and have some flexibility, avoid visiting during this time.
From 15 December 2017 until 15 Janaury 2018, the Cableway’s peak season tiered ticket pricing is put into effect. Return tickets priced as follows:
Morning Peak (8am to 1pm) – Adults R305 / Children (aged 4 – 17) R145
Afternoon Peak (1pm onwards) – Adults R275 / Children (aged 4 – 17) R135
Make sure a visit to Table Mountain is on your holiday bucket-list. Remember your walking shoes, sunscreen, sunnies, a warm jacket (just in case) and most importantly, your camera.
The Cableway operates weather permitting. For more tips or information about current specials, visit www.tablemountain.net or call (021) 424 0015.