Takes two to tango
Breakfast is the most important meal of the day, so what better way to start your day than with a luscious mango as is, or used in a wonderful breakfast dish.
Mango & Cinnamon Oats
2 cups rolled oats
4 cups water
½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
2 large mangoes, peeled and chopped
A handful of dried mango
¼ cup dark brown sugar
- Place oats, water, cinnamon and dried mango in a medium saucepan.
- Stir over a medium heat for 8-10 minutes until the oats are thick and smooth.
- Stir in the mango pieces(reserving a few for garnish) and the sugar and cream.
- Serve garnished with extra mango
Mango Breakfast Parfait with Vanilla Bean Syrup, Yoghurt & Granola
4 large ripe mangoes, peeled and cut into cheeks
2 cups thick Greek style yoghurt
1 cup granola
For the vanilla bean syrup:
1 cup water
1 cup white sugar
4- 6 vanilla pods split length wise
- Place the water, sugar and vanilla pods in a saucepan over high heat, bring to the boil, reduce heat and simmer for 10–15 minutes until sugar is dissolved.
- Set aside to cool. Can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for 3 months
- Grill or roast the mango cheeks, arrange on plates and top with yoghurt and granola, spoon over vanilla bean syrup and serve.
Cinnamon French toast with ricotta cheese and grilled mango cheeks
4 mango cheeks for serving
2 large eggs
4 tablespoon low fat smooth cream cheese
1 tablespoon castor sugar
A little butter
1 white loaf of bread, thickly sliced
150g ricotta cheese (can substitute low fat cream cheese)
- Grill or fry the mango wedges briefly on a hot griddle, set aside.
- Beat the eggs, cream cheese and castor sugar to make a batter.
- Heat a little butter in a frying pan until hot.
- Dip the bread slices into the batter, turning them over to soak both sides.
- Fry the slices in the hot butter until golden, turning to cook both sides.
- Drain on paper towels and serve immediately with cinnamon sugar, a dollop of ricotta cheese and a wedge of mango.