Awards season is in full swing. With the announcement of the Golden Globes winners at the start of the week, and the much-anticipated list of nominations for this year’s Academy Awards made public on Thursday, the race is on to predict who will walk away with the coveted golden Oscar statues on February 28.
Launching its Oscar Buzz campaign, Ster-Kinekor and Cinema Nouveau are asking you to pick your favourite winner in any category, and deliver your take on their acceptance speech come Oscar night. It can be serious, quirky or downright comical…and, if yours is selected as the winning speech, you could find yourself the lucky winner of movie tickets for a year.
Leading the pack with twelve nominations is ‘The Revenant’, followed by ‘Mad Max: Fury Road’ with ten; ‘The Martian’ received seven nominations, with both ‘Bridge of Spies’ and ‘Spotlight’ on six Oscar nominations. ‘The Big Short’ has five nominations, with ‘Room’ on four, and ‘Brooklyn’ with three. The eventual winners in the major categories are anyone’s guess, it appears.
Ster-Kinekor and Cinema Nouveau are lining up many of the Oscar-nominated films over the next two months (with some already on circuit) for your viewing pleasure, and they want to know what you think the winners will say when their names are announced.
Says Lola Gallant, Brand Manager of Cinema Nouveau: “According to the experts and movie critics worldwide, ‘awards season’ is for the best of the best in the movie industry and the excitement is mounting. Building on the hype and expectation of who will win the coveted Oscar statues this year, we want our audiences to watch all the Oscar-nominated films screening at Cinema Nouveau and Ster-Kinekor cinemas, and to deliver their carefully composed acceptance speech.
“Participants can select any category for their acceptance speech from Best Actor, Best Director and Best Song, to Best Special Effects or Costumers. All we ask is that you let your creativity flow as you thank your family, loved ones, fans, the Academy, or the cast for honouring you with an Oscar!”
Once you have watched the movie at Ster-Kinekor or Cinema Nouveau theatres, and your acceptance speech has been written or recorded, it should be shared on Ster-Kinekor Theatres or Cinema Nouveau’s Facebook or Twitter platforms, using the hashtag #OscarBuzz.
“At the end of the Oscar Buzz promotion, on March 18, the best acceptance speech will be announced. Its author will receive movie tickets for a year, to watch the world’s best movies the way they were made to be seen.
“As we start the countdown to the 88th Academy Awards ceremony, we invite you to watch the very best films of 2015 screened in the best environment – on the big screen, in the comfort of one of our cinemas. Join in the #OscarBuzz by posting your original acceptance speech. We can’t wait to hear your take on who you think is going to take home one of the prized golden statues this year,” concludes Gallant.
* For more information about #OscarBuzz and to book for your Oscar-nominated film, download the Ster-Kinekor App on your smart phone.
Visit www.cinemanouveau.co.za or www.sterkinekor.com.
Follow on Twitter @nouveaubuzz with #OscarBuzz and on Facebook at Cinema Nouveau.
For information and queries, call Ticketline on 0861 Movies (668 437).
The 2016 Academy Awards nominations can be found at: http://oscar.go.com/nominees.
The 88th Academy Awards ceremony, hosted by Chris Rock, takes place on Sunday, February 28.
The list of Oscar Nominations for Best Picture are:
Eight films have been nominated for Best Picture, offering local movie-lovers a feast of the best of the best on the big screen, at Cinema Nouveau and Ster-Kinekor.
• ‘The Revenant’ – releases on January 22 (releasing in IMAX)
• ‘The Big Short’ – releases on January 15
• ‘Spotlight’ – releases on February 5
• ‘Room’ – releases on February 26
• ‘Brooklyn’ – released on November 13 (currently on circuit)
• ‘Bridge of Spies’ – released on November 6 (currently on circuit)
• ‘The Martian’ – released on October 2
• ‘Mad Max: Fury Road’ – released on 15 May 2015
Oscar-nominated films (categories other than Best Picture) currently screening (and scheduled for release) at Ster-Kinekor and Cinema Nouveau cinemas include:
• ‘Anomalisa’ – releases on February 26 (Pictured above)
• ‘Trumbo’ – releases on February 19
• ‘The Danish Girl’ – releases on January 29
• ‘The Hateful Eight’ – releases on January 29
• ‘Joy’ – released on January 8
• ‘Steve Jobs’ – released on December 2015
• ‘Carol’ – released on 16 December 2015
• ‘Star Wars: The Force Awakens’ – released on 16 December 2015 (also in IMAX 3D)
• ‘Creed’ – released on 04 December 2015
• ‘Spectre’ – released on 27 November 2015