With summer attracting multitudes of local, out of town and international tourists to Table Mountain, the Cableway has compiled a guide so as to enhance the experience of visiting the Mother City’s New 7 Wonder of Nature.
Need to know cheats:
• Buy your ticket in advance and jump the Ticket Office queue: buy your Cableway ticket online. Your ticket is valid for seven days from your chosen date, so print it out or do the responsible thing and keep it on your phone for digital scanning. Note that you still need to join the Ticket Holders queue at the Lower Station.
• Park and Ride: Beat the parking blues on Tafelberg Road by parking your car in the free parking area on the corner of Kloof Nek and Tafelberg Roads and catching the FREE MyCiTi shuttle that runs to the Lower Station. Table Mountain Cableway is sponsoring this FREE shuttle bus, so there is no need for a ticket. Better still is to use the MyCiTi bus service to travel to the Kloof Nek bus stop and then change over to the free shuttle bus that runs from the Lower Tafelberg bus stop around the corner from the Kloof Nek bus stop.
• Visit outside peak-times: Beat the crowds and longer queues by heading to the Cableway outside of peak-times. Usable ahead of the standard 8am opening time, from 7.30am onwards you can purchase an Early Access ticket online for R350 return. These are valid for three days from date of purchase and are available from December 15 to January 15. Alternatively, because many tour operators choose to head to the Cableway first thing in the morning; things will be slightly quieter if you visit in the afternoon. There will be plenty of time to enjoy your experience – the last cable car comes down at 9pm in December.
• From November 1 to December 18, and from January 4 until February 29, return tickets are half price after 6pm with the Cableway’s ½ price Sunset Special.
• On Fridays SA senior citizens (60 years and older) pay R100 return and students in possession of a valid student card pay R130 return. These tickets are available at the Ticket Office only.
• Free 30-minute guided tours depart from the Twelve Apostles Terrace, below the Shop at the Top and Table Mountain Café, on the hour from 9am to 3pm daily.
• You can download the free Table Mountain Cableway audio tour via Voicemap to enhance your experience. This free app gives insightful information on the fauna and flora, as well as a map of the Cableway’s pathways.
• Weather conditions at the Lower and Upper Cable Stations can vary considerably, so visit the website homepage or follow @TableMountainCa on Twitter to find out if the Cableway is open, the queue waiting time and what temperature you can expect at the top.
• Should the Cableway be closed for a few days in a row due to adverse weather conditions, longer queues can be expected.
• If you are a local and have more flexibility avoid the Cableway’s busiest days between December 19 and January 3.
• Put your walking shoes on, pack the sun lotion, water, sunglasses and a warm jacket and finally; don’t forget your camera. Whether you’re nearing your 20th Table-top summit or are a first-time visitor, the Cableway welcomes you to share in an unforgettable summer experience.
Things to do with the kids at Table Cableway this festive season
Avoid the “Mom, I’m bored!” exclamations on your next visit to the Table Mountain Cableway this festive season. From visits with some very special mystical characters to thrilling guided tours and cool upgraded facilities, there is plenty to see and do to keep your little ones occupied!
Pre-book your tickets online and participate in these fantastic Cableway experiences:
• Pose for a photo with Father Christmas and the Christmas Fairy this Christmas Eve and Christmas Day as favourite characters from the North Pole entertain you and your little ones at our Wonder of Nature.
• Puzzles, word games, colouring and more are the highlights of the free activity books and sure to keep kids occupied during their Table Mountain visit.
• Make it an educational outing with free guided walks which depart from the Twelve Apostles Terrace hourly, or download the free audio tour via Voicemap, which includes all kinds of fascinating facts about the fauna and flora and the Cableway.
• All of that sightseeing is sure to have you work up quite the appetite so do pop by the self-service Table Mountain Café, or drop by the all-new WiFi Lounge for a cool drink and free internet access to share your Cableway photos with your loved ones.
• Pick up a keepsake at the Shop at the Top. More than 90% of the items on sale, including sweets, stuffed toys, clothing and accessories, are sourced from local suppliers so get your must-have local memento.
* The Cableway operates weather permitting. For more information and updates, visit www.tablemountain.net; or call 021 424 8181.
Various family packages are up for grabs to Table Mountain over the festive season.
Send your name and “Table Mountain Festive” in the subject line in an e-mail to: firstname.lastname@example.org before 12pm on Monday, December 14. Good luck!