The second annual Wellington Fork & Cork wine festival will be taking place at Kleinevalleij Estate on September 12. The festival promises to tickle the taste buds providing its patrons with the best local food, wine, art and entertainment the Valley of the Wagonmakers has to offer.
Guests can look forward to a fresh produce and lifestyle market as well as a brand new wine theatre with five uniquely entertaining productions and prizes to be won during each session. The festival also provides a supervised kids area where the young ones can romp around in the fresh Boland air.
From 12pm music lovers can enjoy music by the eight piece swing rock band, Swingsetters, and from 3pm the Bootleggers, a six piece blues and jazz band that will set the mood for the rest of the day.
The five wine theatres at Festa Restaurant on Kleinevalleij Estate include:
• The People’s Chenin: At this session the Chenin Blanc cultivar will be discussed by award winning winemakers from the Mutual & Federal Agri Wellington Wine Route. Six wines will be tasted blind and each patron has three votes to vote for their favourite wine; the wine with the most votes will be proclaimed The People’s Chenin. One lucky person will win a mixed case of Chenin Blanc wines from the valley.
• Mighty Blends (Rooi Reuse): Winemakers compare and discuss the character of Rhône, Bordeaux en Cape Blends during a wine tasting session. One lucky person will go home with a case of red wines from the area.
• Sedgwicks and Andy Watts: During this session a whisky tasting and presentation will be hosted by master distiller, Andy Watts, well-renowned for his award winning Three Ships Whisky and Bain’s Cape Mountain Whisky. A lucky patron will win two bottles of Bain’s Cape Mountain Whisky.
• Pinotage and Personalities: Legendary personalities from the valley will be ‘paired’ with Pinotage while they entertain attendees with Wellington anecdotes and stories of yesteryear. One lucky person will win a mixed case of Pinotage wines from the valley.
• Wellington Quest for the Best Top 10: The Grand Finale to the wine theatre presentations will be the tasting and discussion of the winners of this year’s Wellington Quest for the Best top 10 wines, presented by the winning winemakers. Quest for the Best is a competition initiated for Wellington by Wellington, showcasing the overall quality and diversity of Wine of Origin Wellington. One lucky person will win a case of the top 10 winning wines.
During the day’s festivities several lucky draws will take place with various prizes to be won. Prizes include hampers from the lifestyle market, wines from the valley, restaurant vouchers, accommodation, Zipline vouchers, tickets to the Tuin van Digtersfees and many more.
Go along and celebrate Wellington and experience why it was announced Western Cape Kwêla Dorp van die Jaar by kykNET by sampling the best this Boland town has to offer.
* Book at Computicket at R150 per person. Price includes a glass, free tasting and entry to the wine theatres. Children under the age of 17 enter for free. Festivities start at 10am and will continue until 6pm – thereafter the party moves to the adjacent Festa.