Music Exchange: Success is 10% of the iceberg

Music Exchange: Success is 10% of the iceberg
By Martin Myers

By Martin Myers

The creative industry is not for the faint hearted, that’s for sure! Whether you are a painter, a musician, or work in another avenue of the arts, there are challenges at every turn.
The hours are not 9 to 5. The desire to create is an all encompassing passion, and that is the key to success. So many people I have spoken to have a passion that drives them to achieve. The cliché that one often hears, namely that “beauty is in the eye of the beholder”, is so true, when regarding all artistic pursuits, be it music, graphic art, design, architecture. Regardless of the field, discipline and dedication go hand-in-hand.

I mention this as a friend of mine, Razia, is exhibiting her artwork this Friday at an art gallery for the very first time. She was a change manager and SAP consultant at a large JSE listed company and loved what she did until she took a trip to India and had her creative side unlocked at an ashram. When she came home to Cape Town she took a leap of faith by answering the voice inside her head and started to paint.

The results have been nothing short of staggering .Yes, she has a mentor who guides her with advice, and yes, she’s diligent and attends classes three times a week, but she has a passion to create. I wonder how many more Capetonians just need to unlock the door to their creativity? She has persevered in her field, even after receiving what amounted to derogatory criticism, yet has pushed on to create and now is exhibiting her work amongst her peers.
On the same night this weekend (Friday), the African Voices Trust is hosting its fundraiser event with Vusi Mahlasela at the Baxter, with eight dynamic young vocalists. The show is a showcase of the next generation of leaders in the music industry, as well as a benefit concert to support the Africa Voices Trust.

These young artists have given up lots of their free time to work and go the extra mile to achieve. This is to be commended as all these artists have been fuelled by one thing only – to achieve excellence though hard work. Success is 10% of the iceberg; the other 90% is pure unadulterated failure. To reach that 10% you have to work so hard.
There are no shortcuts to success, no instant  “hit” button.
One musician friend of mine has studied at university for over twelve years to master his craft and has become a world leader in his field, not through luck, but through sheer hard work and discipline. And that’s what separates the hit makers from the naysayers and very vocal lightweights boxing well above their class.

Gig of the weekend: The Crypt – Wale Street

Friday and Saturday, May 8 and 9 (8pm – 11pm) – Zoe Modiga
Don’t miss 2014 Grand West Open Mic Jazz Winner vocalist Zoe Modiga perform at The Crypt as part of her Open Mic prize. Zoe will be accompanied by some amazing Cape Town jazz musicians: Bokani Dyer – piano; Romy Brauteseth – bass; Keenan Ahrends – guitar; Marlon Witbooi – drums; and Robin Fassie Kock – trumpet.
Bookings are essential via SMS or WhatsApp to 079 683 4658.

@martinmyers