Improguise, the Cape Town-based improvisational group, currently performing every Monday night this year at the Galloway Theatre at the Waterfront Theatre School, will be returning to the Kalk Bay Theatre for another intense week of Improv Festival, from Tuesday, March 10, to Sunday, March 15.
This will be the 3rd Improv Fest at the Kalk Bay Theatre and it is set to be the most intense one, with different performances every day, from the Tuesday to the Sunday, and new formats too.
“Our first two improv festivals were a roaring success,” says Tandi Buchan, Improguise’s artistic director. “In fact, it’s going to be a fun challenge making this one even better, so what we have done is offer audience favourite formats and new ones, so there is something for everybody. It’s even a great idea to come more than once!”
The cast includes Megan Furniss, Anne Hirsch, Carolyn Lewis, Tandi Buchan, Brett Fish Anderson, Ryan Jales, Leon Clingman, Ardine Fick, Tarryn Saunders, David Luyt, Candice Van Litsenborgh, Ashley Peter and Hilton Pelser.
The programme will run as follows:
• Tuesday, March 10: Theatresports – the hugely popular show with an emcee, judges from the audience and two teams competing in a series of games with suggestions from the audience.
• Wednesday, March 11: South African Soap Opera – A few suggestions from the audience will help create a brand new, never seen before soap opera. Be careful. This one is addictive.
• Thursday, March 12: Documentary – The improvisers’ skills are stretched to their limits as they concoct a completely made up full length documentary in front of the audience.
• Friday, March 13: Stuck in the middle – Here one improviser will be ‘stuck in the middle’ and on stage for an hour, while everyone else includes them in brand new scenes. Mayhem.
• Saturday, March 14: Superscene – One of the audience favourites: six improvising directors compete against each other for the last one standing in Superscene.
• Sunday, March 15: Matinee Musical – The whole family gets to witness the extraordinary magic of a fully improvised musical, made up and SUNG before their eyes.
* Performances are every night at 8.30pm and on Saturday and Sunday at 6.30pm.
Tickets cost R120 via 0793618275, or book online at www.kalkbaytheatre.co.za.
To book for dinner before the show, call 079 361 8275 (no orders are taken after 7.45pm) – Kalk Bay Theatre restaurant patrons get first choice of the unreserved seating in the theatre.