It is the season to be jolly and what better way to celebrate than with food and wine inspired pairings?
First up a decadent fizz inspired recipe, courtesy of J C Le Roux:
Transform an everyday recipe into a Méthode Cap Classique indulgence with melt-in-your-mouth J.C. Le Roux La Vallée cream cheese icing cupcakes.
Made in the time-honoured French tradition of secondary bottle fermentation whereby the delicate bubbles are created and captured in the bottle, the palate pleasing demi-sec, La Vallée, adds a luxurious finishing touch to the decadent sugar syrup that crowns this delicious cupcake treat. Be sure to have extra, well-chilled bottles and flutes on hand to share with your friends and loved ones when tucking into these home baked gems.
J.C. Le Roux La Vallée cupcakes with cream cheese icing
(Makes 16 cupcakes)
Ingredients for the cupcakes:
- 4 extra large eggs
- 310 ml castor sugar
- 500 ml cake flour
- 15 ml baking powder
- 2,5 ml salt
- 250 ml milk
- 100 g butter
- 5 ml vanilla extract
For the Sugar syrup:
- 60 ml J.C. Le Roux La Vallée
- 75 g sugar
For the cream cheese icing:
- 720 g (3 tubs) cream cheese
- 240 g icing sugar
1. For the cupcakes, preheat the oven to 180°C. Fill 16 muffin holes with paper cupcake cases.
2. Cream the eggs and sugar together with an electric beater until pale and fluffy. Sift the flour, baking powder and salt together and gently fold it into the egg mixture.
3. Gently heat the milk and butter in a saucepan over low heat, do not boil. Stir the warm milk mixture and vanilla essence into the batter. Pour into the prepared cases and bake for 25-30 minutes.
4. For the sugar syrup, combine the J.C. Le Roux La Vallée and the sugar in a small saucepan over low heat. Cook slowly until the sugar has evaporated and then turn up the heat. Cook until the mixture is slightly syrupy.
5. For the cream cheese icing, combine the cream cheese and icing sugar in a bowl, and mix through.
6. Remove the cupcakes from the oven and drizzle with the J.C. Le Roux La Vallée syrup.
7. Place the cupcakes in decorative cupcake moulds and pipe the icing onto each cupcake. Sprinkle with edible gold glitter.
• Stay up to date with all the latest news from The House of J.C. Le Roux by visiting www.jcleroux.co.za.
*Recipe and image courtesy of www.breadnbutter.co.za*
Still on the topic of festive eating and drinking, Ice cream is just what the doctor ordered on a hot summer’s day, and what better than a wine inspired ice cream?
Together with the team from Sinnful (famous for their delicious range of ice creams) Lanzerac Cellarmaster, Wynand Lategan and Lanzerac Hotel & Spa Executive Chef, Stephen Fraser developed a range of ice creams carefully paired with select wines from the portfolio. Unique to Lanzerac the range of freshly made and heavenly ice creams include the Lanzerac Chardonnay and Butter Pecan, Lanzerac Pinotage, Raspberry and Vanilla as well as a Lanzerac Sauvignon Blanc and Kiwi Sorbet. Perfect for the adventurous wine enthusiast!
Those opting for a non-alcoholic ice cream can indulge in a Vanilla Pod, Chocolate, Peppermint, Black Cherry Yoghurt, Toffee Fudge, Addictions, Cookies and Cream or Caffeine Fix ice cream.
This latest offering adds to the already exciting line up available when visiting the estate, which includes a chocolate and wine pairing as well as the ever-popular cheese and wine pairing.
* For more information contact the Tasting Room at 021 886 5641 or visit www.lanzeracwines.co.za.