Dogs are universally known as man’s best friend, and amongst the seasons summer is probably the best one to spend quality time with your bestie. The one thing that always stands out for me about Cape Town is the number of dogs being walked by their owners around town, on the beaches or on the Promenade. There are few things as great as ending an afternoon by taking your dog to one of the many Cape Town beaches where dogs are allowed to run free. However, be aware that there are many beaches that have a no-dogs-allowed policy. So make sure you know which is which.
Beaches where dogs are allowed without a leash include:
• Clifton 1st
• The middle section of Hout Bay beach
• Long beach Kommetjie
• Beta Beach in Bakoven
• Sunset in Sea Point
What I also love about Cape Town is that there are so many pet friendly restaurants.
Here’s a few:
• Ons Huise in Blouberg is perfectly suited for any dog owner, and after lunch, you can take your doggie for a walk along Blouberg Beach (however your dog needs to be on a leach).
• Rhodes Memorial Tea Garden is also an ideal spot, and it comes complete with a few mountain pet-friendly walks that start and finish from there.
• Dunes in Hout Bay is a spot ideal for taking in the breathtaking views of the Cape Peninsula and dogs are allowed to run free in front of the dunes on the middle Hout Bay Beach.
So wherever it is you decide to spend your summer days with your best friend, remember to adhere to etiquette:
• Always carry one or two plastic bags to pick up your dog’s mess and don’t bury it in the sand.
• If the sign says “Dogs On A Leash”, keep your dog on the leash at all times.
• Don’t assume that every person loves dogs. Do not allow your dog to run across other peoples’ picnics or sandcastles.
• Don’t let your pet eat off your plate, or off the table in the restaurant.
Have a great summer with your best friend.