Living loud with Liezel: Here’s looking at you, 2014
By Liezel van der Westhuizen
It’s almost time to count down the New Year. There are so many events
happening in and around the Mother City, you will not lack for things to
do. (You will notice suggestions all over this edition.) The island nations of
Kiribati and Samoa are the first to welcome the New Year, while Honolulu,
Hawaii is among the last places to welcome the New Year. South Africa
and Cape Town fall in the middle of the New Year’s celebrations.
There are a lot of trends to keep track of as we go into 2014. Here are
some of them:
• 2014 is the Year of the Horse, according to Chinese zodiac.
• The colour of the year for 2014 is Radiant Orchid, “a captivating,
magical, enigmatic purple.”
• Sophisticated sweets, savoury yogurt and bolder burgers are just three
of the inspirational food trends to watch for in 2014, as identified by
Campbell’s Culinary & Baking Institute, a network of chefs, bakers and
culinary professionals at Campbell Soup Co.
• The United Nations have designated 2014 as the International Year of
Family Farming and Crystallography.
Cape Town is also the World Design Capital for 2014, which will see a lot
of exciting things happening in and around the city.
But before we enter 2014, here are some cool events in the mother city happening on New Year’s Eve:
Hermanus Golf Club – Welcome in 2014 at a New Year’s Eve Party
• New Year’s Eve at the ‘Rocky Horror Picture Show at the Fugard Theatre’
– The show kicks off just before 10pm, and the last curtain call will see
actors and audience members countdown to 2014.
• Surf’s Up at The Barnyard Theatre, Tygervalley – ‘The Ultimate Beach
Party’ tribute show will take you into the New Year to the sounds of UB40,
The Beach Boys, Katy Perry, Santana, Mango Groove and many more.
• Nederburg New Year’s Eve Spectacular – Celebrate New Year’s Eve at
Nederburg with Lira and the Cape Philharmonic Orchestra.
• New Year’s Eve Boat Party Cruise departing from the V & A Waterfront –
a great red carpet romantic New Year’s Eve boat cruise on the sexy new
Whatever your plans, please stay safe and be responsible.