There is no quick-fix to losing belly fat. We have to understand that belly fat is linked with cardiovascular disease and diabetes. Visceral fat is the deepest layer of fat that you cannot see and this produces hormones and other substances that affect your health. Here are a few ways to banish that belly fat and create a new slimmer, toned belly.
• The whole idea in preparation for summer and to obtain a perfect swimsuit figure is to jump-start your metabolism. This can only be done by having a good, wholesome breakfast, including protein such as eggs, peanut butter, fresh fruit and low fat yogurts. These take longer to process than refined sugars and complex carbohydrates so you will feel full throughout the morning. Eating properly also helps to keep your insulin levels steadier and your LDL cholesterol levels lower. Avoid sugary cereals, pastries, pancakes and any foods with refined sugars.
• A diet rich in whole grains changes the glucose and insulin response in your body to hasten the melting of visceral fat, which is that deep layer under the skin. Try incorporating brown wheat bread in your diet instead of over-processed white bread and brown rice instead of white rice. A recent study confirms that people who ate whole grains in addition to vegetables, fruit and lean meat lost more belly fat than those who ate refined grains. Avoid sugary, carbonated drinks and rather opt for water instead. This way you will stay hydrated.
• Relax. This may be difficult for some people that have stressful jobs, but research has shown the secretion of cortisol (a hormone your body produces during times of stress) is correlated with an increase in belly fat. Try and get at least 7 hours of sleep every night. Take 15 minutes of your time or lunch break to sit and breathe in deeply and just relax. Avoid doing any stressful work before bedtime or in your bedroom. Reserve this space to rest and relax.
• Exercise. If you do not have the time to attend a gym, simple ways like walking for 20 minutes along the beach or taking stairs instead of lifts, all help contribute to a flatter belly. Improve muscle and build endurance with alternate short interval training. Run or sprint fast for 20 seconds then slow down until you catch your breath and repeat. Aerobic exercises burn calories quickly and facilitates fat loss all over, including your belly. Avoid muscle injury by allowing your body to relax in between workouts.
• Stay motivated. Measure your waist to see the progress. Your body weight also fluctuates depending on the time of day so make sure that you weigh yourself at the same time each day.
Let us all be healthy by getting rid of the so-called “muffin-top” by following a balanced diet and including some exercise in our daily routine. Make sure though that you always check with your doctor before starting any vigorous exercise program.