MyCiTi bus fares will increase on July 1 in line with the annual service tariff increases levied by the City at the start of a new municipal financial year.
However, fares on this high-quality service will remain comparable to and in some cases cheaper than equivalent fares on buses and minibus-taxi services.
The fares will increase as follows:
• From R10.60 to R11,50 for a trip on the main route between the Civic Centre and Table View (with area services free if a direct transfer is made).
• From R5,30 to R5,80 for a trip on a residential or central city service.
• The airport service tariff will increase from R57,00 to R62,00 for adults and from R28,10 to R30,30 for children aged four to 11 years old.
• The cost of a monthly ticket for the airport service will rise from R449,50 to R484,60, and the cost of issuing a myconnect card will increase from R23,00 to R25,00.
• Children under four or under one metre tall travel for free.
• MyCiTi fares are exempt from VAT.
The increases were included in the City’s 2013/2014 budget, which was passed on Wednesday, 29 May 2013. The municipal financial year begins on 1 July 2013 and ends on 30 June 2014.
“The City has sought to keep the fare increases as low as possible and we are confident that the increases are reasonable. The MyCiTi service still remains an economical way to commute and we welcome absolutely everybody aboard the service,” says the City’s Mayoral Committee Member: Transport for Cape Town, Councillor Brett Herron.