By Melissa Cohen
As Father’s Day 2013 approaches, many children – young and old – are heading to the shops in search of a unique Father’s Day gift for their special dad. These ‘unique’ gifts are difficult to come by as most of the stores offer the ‘same old’ socks you gave dad last year and that branded “Best dad in the world” mug that’s collecting dust at the back of the kitchen cupboard, because he actually isn’t too fond of coffee or tea, but is more partial to an ice cold beer. If many of you suffer from the same Father’s day present problems that I face, because you have just run out of original ideas or dad just has everything he wants and needs, there is hope out there for original, special goodies to spoil dad with this Father’s day.
The Bar Pa
• Humorous Bar Accessories: bar blades, beer bells, beer mug, and hip flasks. Go check out Get Graphic and Cardies for more information. Prices range from R50 to R150.
• Toilet Golf: Yes you read right. This mini game of golf is played while on the toilet to “putt while sitting on your butt”. This gift idea is from Get Graphics for R170.
• Starter Brewery Kit: Everything dad needs to make his own beer. Fully equipped starter kit containing all ingredients and equipment. Head to Dad’s Toys for more info. Prices between R1000 and R1500.
The “Do It The Dad’s Way” Dad
• Cell Phone pouch with built in speakers: “Gimmicky” accessory for sure, but also quite useful. Go to Cape Union Mart for more details. Prices between R200 and R400.
• Electric Corkscrew Kit: Ensures a cork free bottle of wine every time. Visit Game for more details. Price R399.
• Screw driver kit: Handy and helpful for any technical problem around the house. Dad’s Toys for R170.
The Outdoor Dad
• Survival Kit: Contains everything that a dad needs to survive in the outdoors while camping or even going fishing. It contains essentials such as a candle, tool kit, waterproof matches and a whistle to name a few. This kit goes for only R120 from Cape Union Mart.
• Head torch: This torch is essential when camping or hiking in the dark as it provides a bright light to allow for clearer visibility. Prices on request at Cape Union Mart.
• Thermal Gloves and Beanie: Keeping warm this winter is important so why not give dad thermal protection against the Cape’s unpredictable climate. Found at all clothing and outdoor outlets. Prices available on request.
The Almost Metro-Sexual Macho Dad
• Old Spice Gift Set: For dad’s grooming needs give him a variety box of the famous Old Spice range. Available at Dischem for R119.
• Razor and Trimmer set: Perfect gift for the well-groomed dad. Available at Dischem, Clicks and Game. Price available on request.