It’s the tastiest date on the South African foodie calendar and an event where trends are born. The new look Good Food & Wine Show will kick off in Cape Town from May 23 to May 26.
The enduring appeal of celebrity chefs continues and appearing at the Cape Town show will be the inimitable Gordon Ramsay, star of television series ‘Hell’s Kitchen’, ‘The F Word’, ‘Ramsay’s Best Restaurant’, ‘Ramsay’s Kitchen Nightmares’, ‘Gordon’s Great Escape’, ‘Gordon Behind Bars’ and ‘Gordon Ramsay’s Ultimate Cookery Course’. Chef Ramsay is famous for his scathing outbursts in the kitchen. However, despite his unconventional style, he is regarded as one of the best chefs in the world and has several successful restaurants to prove it.
Comfort food gone global while baking has taken the world by storm so heading for our shores is master pâtissier, author and TV chef Eric Lanlard who counts Madonna and the Beckhams among his celebrity clients. Next year the charming Frenchman will become the first chef to travel to space with Virgin Galactic.
Also coming to the Cape Town show will be Australian chef and star of ‘Bill’s Food’, Bill Granger who is known for delicious food that is simple, fresh, looks irresistible and more importantly is easy to create at home.
Locally sourced food and children’s nutrition are the leading trends in 2013, according to the US National Restaurant Association’s annual ‘What’s hot 2013 chef survey’ and the Good Food & Wine Show will be bang up-to-date with these global predictions.
Getting children into the kitchen and involved in cooking for the family is the future of a healthy nation. So what better inspiration to our children than winner of the first ‘Junior MasterChef Australia’ Isabella Bliss and her twin sister Sofia, who came in the top four of the competition which propelled them to international recognition? The two will be active at the show’s latest addition, the Little Chefs Kitchen.
The Bliss twins recently published a cookbook with their mother Sylvana Spina who will also be at the show on the innovative Dial-A-Mum where experts will be giving mothers advice – from nutrition and what to cook that night to what to pack into a healthy but tasty school lunchbox.
Where food comes from is making headlines around the world following the horse meat scandal. The Real Food stand will be a fully interactive experience covering everything from sustainability and being able to rent-a-hen for your own freshly laid eggs to how to create your own blog and share your food experiences with the world.
The Cape Town Good Food & Wine Show will also proudly launch the first South African Bar Show, a not-to-be-missed platform for premium brands in the bar industry.
The Show will also be more interactive than ever before – the whole family will be able to interact with local and global foodie personalities who are showcasing their culinary skills while exhibitors will have the opportunity to communicate directly with their target market.
Good Food & Wine Show times:
• Gordon Ramsay will appear in the Checkers Celebrity Chefs Theatre on Friday May 24 at 11am and 1.30pm; on Saturday May 25 at 11am, 1.30pm and 6pm; and on Sunday May 26 at 11am, 1.30pm and 4.30pm.
• Bill Granger will appear in the Checkers Celebrity Chefs Theatre on Saturday May 25 at 4.30pm and 7.30pm; and on Sunday May 26 at 12.30pm. He will be on the Real Food Theatre on Saturday May 25 at 1pm and on Sunday May 26 and 10.30am and 3.30pm.
• Eric Lanlard appears in the Checkers Celebrity Chefs Theatre on Thursday May 23 at 11am; on Friday May 24 at 12.30pm; on Saturday May 25 at 3pm; and on Sunday May 26 at 3pm. He will also be on the Brilliant Baking Theatre.
• Isabella and Sofia Bliss will appear in the Checkers Celebrity Chefs Theatre on Friday May 24 at 3pm; and on Saturday May 25 at 12.30pm. They will also be appearing on the Woolworths Little Chefs Theatre.
* Tickets cost R110 for adults and R55 for children. Book at Computicket. Visit www.goodfoodandwineshow.co.za for more information.