The City of Cape Town has put together a detailed transport plan for this year’s Cape Argus Pick n Pay Cycle Tour, which takes place on Sunday 10 March 2013.
The Cycle Tour is the world’s largest timed cycle race and takes participants on a route of close on 109kms around the Cape Peninsula.
“The City of Cape Town is proud to once again be hosting this premier event, and we wish participants well as they tackle the challenging route,” said Councilor Grant Pascoe, Mayoral Committee Member for Tourism, Events and Marketing.
The following special arrangements will be in place for the day of the event:
• A free MyCiTi shuttle between the Civic Centre/ Thibault Square Station and the Stadium Station. This shuttle service will be free from 06:00 to 18:00.
• Cycle tour sweep buses will be operational at various points along the route, to assist participants who are unable to finish the race.
• Clean-up crew buses will be operational after the race.
• Buses will help transport physiotherapists to stations along the route.
• MyCiTi buses on the Table View trunk route will operate on the normal T1 route with deviation at Paarden Eiland Station onto Marine Drive, meaning there will be no stop at the Woodstock station. The buses will operate on the normal weekend schedule, but start one hour earlier at 05:40. This will be a paid service, using a valid myconnect card. This early start time applies only to the buses travelling in the direction of the city.
• Buses on the Table View feeder routes will start operating earlier than usual for the weekend, from 05:15 onwards. Transport on these routes is not free and must be paid for with a valid myconnect card.
The Civic Centre Station itself will be closed on the day of the event, and all services stationed at Civic will be temporarily relocated to the Thibault Square Station. This is due to Hertzog Boulevard being closed to normal traffic to allow for participants of the Cycle Tour to access the start. This deviation will be in effect from the start of the bus service at 06:00 until 14:00 whereupon buses will depart from the Civic Centre station.
A copy of this transport plan will be posted at www.capetown.gov.za
All enquiries regarding transport options for this event may be directed to the Transport Information Centre on 0800 65 64 63 or by e-mail email@example.com