Last Saturday evening the entire team from 48hOURS put on their best dancing shoes and went to the opening night of ‘Dirty Dancing’ at the Artscape.
Did you know?
• The original movie soundtrack has sold over 44 million copies
• The cast gets through 55 songs and 73 scene changes each show
• Baby alone has 21 costume changes
We rolled out our blue carpet and got a chance to interview celebs; media and theatregoers about the excitment of this stage production.
Everyone we spoke to was positive about the seeing the stage version of the movie that was first released in 1987, with most people saying that their favourite quote from the movie was “Nobody puts baby in a corner.”
The show is produced by Pieter Toerien, Hazel Feldman and Karl Sydow, ‘Dirty Dancing’ is an unprecedented live experience, exploding with heart-pounding music, passionate romance and sensationally sexy dancing!
The musical score is packed with both contemporary and period songs, including the smash hit and Academy Award Winner for Best Song, ‘Time of My Life’.
If you loved the film, you will adore the stage version. Appealing to young and old alike, the well known and loved original movie soundtrack performed and danced to live makes ‘Dirty Dancing: The Classic Story On Stage’ the hottest ticket in town.
This is what some our readers had to say about the show:
* @ElmarievanderWa: Was a great show.
* @jeninegail: I’ve been – opening night – girls night – company good – I liked the show
* @mandylicious77: I went on Sunday…it was awesome. My 7year old daughter enjoyed it as much as I did! A must see!
*@mandijarman: @liezelv loved the show
‘Dirty Dancing’ runs until the March 3.
Performances are on Tuesdays to Fridays at 8pm, Saturdays at 3pm and 8pm, and Sundays at 2pm and 6pm.
Tickets are from R100 to R400.
Book at the theatre box offices or online at www.computicket.com.