Executive Mayor of Cape Town, Alderman Patricia De Lille today announced the board designate of the World Design Capital 2014 Implementation Company.
The board was selected after an independent selection process, headed by a selection panel compromised of a number of different representatives of civil society.
“I am confident that this board represents the best people available to help manage the planning, coordination and rollout of the WDC2014 programme,” De Lille announced in a statement.
“The board designate has enormous experience and expertise in the design and creative industries, as well as in good corporate governance, which will stand the WDC Implementation Company in good stead and help ensure that Cape Town’s hosting of the World Design Capital 2014 is an outstanding success,” she added.
The independent, not-for-profit organisation will be responsible for ensuring that the requirements of the WDC2014 Host City Agreement are met, and that programme delivery is aligned with Cape Town’s WDC2014 vision of rebuilding social cohesion, reconnecting the city in structure and in spirit, and repositioning Cape Town for the global knowledge economy.
The Chair and Vice Chair were identified by the selection committee and will be ratified at the first board meeting.
The Chair designate is Professor Russel Botman and the Vice Chair designate is Chris Whelan.
Professor Botman is the Rector and Vice Chancellor of the University of Stellenbosch. He has previously served as the President of the South African Council of Churches and as Chairperson of the Klein-Karoo Arts Festival (KKNK), amongst other leading roles in academia and civil society.
Christopher Whelan is the CEO of Accelerate Cape Town. He holds a Master’s degree in Future Studies and has extensive blue-chip private sector experience in the fields of strategy development and business performance improvement.
The remaining members of the board designate are as follows:
• Masana Mayimele Chikeka – Deputy Director, Department of Arts and Culture;
• Martin Smuts – Executive Deputy Mayor, Stellenbosch Municipality;
• Dr Laurine Platzky – Deputy Director General, Department of the Premier, Provincial Government of the Western Cape;
• Anton Groenewald – Executive Director for Tourism, Events and Marketing, City of Cape Town.
Selected Board Members:
• Gillian Benjamin – Owner, Make Content;
• Erica Elk – CEO, Cape Craft and Design Institute;
• Porky Hefer – Designer and Owner, Animal Farm Creative Consultants;
• Noeleen Frances Murray – Architect and Academic, Centre for Humanities Research, University of the Western Cape;
• Dr Chris Nhlapo – Deputy Vice Chancellor: Research, Technology, Innovation and Partnerships, Cape Peninsula University of Technology;
• Professor Francis Petersen – Dean of Facility of Engineering and the Built Environment, University of Cape Town;
• Talia Sanhewe – Managing Director, Talia Productions;
• Bruce Snaddon – Chairman of the Cape Town Design Network and Senior Lecturer, Graphic Design Department, Cape Peninsula University of Technology.
“This outstanding collection of individuals, representing the best of the private sector, academia, the design industry and civil society will collectively help to ensure that Cape Town entrenches itself as one of the leading design and creative centres in Africa and beyond,” the Mayor said.